Our Stake Girls Camp theme this summer and wow what a great one… YOUR ONCE UPON A TIME IS NOW! The theme was taken from President Dieter F. Uchtodorf’s talk – “Your Happily Ever After”
Some of my favorite quotes from the talk included:
“Why must we experience sadness and tragedy? Why could we not simply live in bliss and peace, each day filled with wonder, joy and love? The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet form the bitter. Would a marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?”
“It is your reaction to adversity, the the adversity itself, that determines how your life’s story will develop.”
“Though you may feel that no one can understand the depth of your despair, our savior, Jesus Christ, understands.”
This week was amazing and I had the privileged to not only go to camp to be a YCL first year leader but I was able to attend with my amazing husband! He ran the COPE (Challenging Outdoor Personal Experience) events and made the camp amazing!
Here is just a taste of how much fun everyone had a camp this year! We used a princess theme including the priesthood leaders as knights in shining armor! Every girl loves to feel like a princess and discover their divine worth!
Your Once Upon a Time is Now: Girls Camp
Items used included pink handkerchiefs, crowns decals on water bottles, journals, and name tags and of course duct tape purses! *(tutorial below)*
Camp Lo Mia, Arizona
- Rip or cut 1 strip of duct tape the width of your purse.
- Line up edges of duct tape with dotted edge
- Repeat using 1 strip of each YW value color for each side of your purse(total of 7 colors=14 pieces)
- Peel purse off table, Flip over & fold tops of purse over to other side of purse & press down.
- Trim excess tape off the sides of purse with scissors
- Fold purse in half with the duct tape on the outside. *square it up by tugging it
- Cut or Rip Blue Duct tape 12 inches long & lay flat on table-sticky side up
- Lay folded purse ½ way onto tape.
- Fold tape over edge of purse to close the side of purse *Do Not press tape together at top of bag
- Fold top pieces of duct tape over to inside of purse. *Repeat step 7-10 for other side of purse *Trim off excess tape on bottom of purse